Wednesday 13 March 2013

Lettuce and trifle!


Today I am mostly in London.

I’m sitting in a hotel coffee lounge, with a decaffeinated coffee, overlooking the river. It’s a beautiful, sunny day, although it does keep trying to snow!

If you’re wondering why I’m sitting in a hotel in London when I only live 25 miles away, it’s because I’m waiting for my wife. This isn’t a regular arrangement for us, meeting in a hotel, it’s nothing sordid! She has a meeting here so I decided to come and keep her company on the journey and now I’m sitting here waiting with my coffee and laptop.

I love coming into London. I definitely think that I appreciate it more than most people who live near to the ‘Big Smoke’. Having lived so far away previously and then having it virtually on your doorstep you definitely have a certain appreciation that you only get when you’ve never had something that you’ve always wanted and then you finally get it. Like, that pair of jeans you always wanted as a kid but your mum said that you couldn’t have because they were too expensive and then you get them for Christmas. Or, maybe that’s not such a good comparison!

Either way, I love coming into London and take every opportunity I get to come here and have fun.
When you live in the Midlands, everywhere is ‘holiday distance’ away. The nearest seaside town is a good 2 hour drive away and London, well, that’s at least a 4 hour drive away.

I remember the first time I came to London, I was in my mid-twenties. I came up with my girlfriend at the time as she had an interview. We drove to Wembley Stadium, parked up and got the train the remainder of the journey. At that point in my life, I lived hand to mouth. Money was tight. The money came in, the bills were paid and the little that was left quickly went out again on food and such like, so I didn’t have any spare income for treats such as trips into London. That was considered to be a holiday type trip and needed to be well planned in advance and saved for. However, when you get asked to come for an interview in the capital it’s at much shorter notice and you just do what you can to get to there. Hence the reason we drove part of the way and trained the rest. So, what money I did have I gave to her on that day in case she needed it, which, in hindsight, was a bit short-sighted as she was much less likely to need it in an interview than me.
Anyway, while she was in her interview/assessment thingy, I just walked around on my own. In a place where I had never been before in my life! Too shy to go into any of the attractions in case I needed to pay for something. The embarrassment of not having any money and having to turn around and come out again was too much to even bear thinking about, so, I just walked, and walked, and walked, and honestly, I had an amazing time. I got to see so much stuff that I’m sure I wouldn’t have, had I got some money. I walked along the Thames, saw the Houses of Parliament, Trafalgar Square, St. James's Park, Buckingham Palace, Covent Garden. I must’ve walked absolutely miles. But, as long as I was back where I started within the 4hours, I could go where I wanted, so long as it was free!

Thinking back, I wished at the time I’d had money, but, what a wonderful way to see London and it didn’t cost me a thing!

Today, I won’t be doing anything anywhere near as adventurous. A coffee, maybe a bit of shortbread, but mostly sitting and chilling out with my laptop and waiting. Until, that is, my lovely wife gets back and then I might get her to take me for a little bite to eat as a treat for being a good girl and not getting into any trouble while I was left to my own devices!

I quite like being alone, actually. Well, when I want to be, that is. I’m pretty rubbish at being on my own when it’s a forced situation! Probably not unlike most people, I guess?

I do find it to be quite therapeutic, though. Time to think, people watch, and write. I’m quite enjoying this whole writing, blogging thing. For so long now writing has been such a huge part of my job and the thought of sitting down at home and doing more writing well, as you can imagine, the appeal wasn’t really there. But, this whole blogging concept and using my brain (yes, I know, most of you will be surprised that I even have a brain!) in a different way, well, I’m quite enjoying it. I’d forgotten how artistic I could be, or, was that autistic? I always get those two confused. A bit like lettuce and trifle! Some of you will recognise that reference and for those that don’t, all I can say is Lorraine Kelly’s Big Fat Challenge!

And on that note, I think I will bid you farewell.

1 comment:

  1. I always get lettuce and trifle confused - now, which one is low calorie again? xxx

    ReplyDelete