Monday 11 March 2013

Rose tinted glasses

I was trying to remember when it last snowed quite so much during one winter season. I mean, not snowed a lot in one day, I'm talking about when it last snowed on more than one occasion, you know like snowed then got warmer then snowed again. I don't think I can ever recall a time when that's happened. I mean, I can remember some crazy snowy winters as a child when it snowed so much we got snowed in, snow drifts up the front door, dig yourself out, type of winters! But not snowed, then got warm and then snowed again in the same season 2 or 3 times over.

I live in Essex now but I grew up in Staffordshire in a small village where everyone knows your business even before you do, but I digress! 
The weather in Essex, due to it being that little bit further south, is always a degree or so warmer than up t'north and the winters, well, less snowy. If it snows here in Essex you know that up north they're suffering.

Memories are a funny thing, they always seem so idealistic, or is that just me? In my mind's eye the summers seemed sunnier and the winters, somehow, more wintery. Perfect imperfection! 
I'm sure that they weren't sunnier or more wintery but it's funny how we store information like that, with our  'rose tinted glasses' on. 

I can remember one particular winter we got so much snow that we lost our electricity supply on our village for about 3 or 4 days. It seemed longer but I'm sure it wasn't! We had an open fire so we were okay for warmth, well, in the living room at least! But we didn't have mains gas to our village at that time so we couldn't cook or even make hot drinks! 
I recall having to walk to my sisters on the 'new estate', it was about half a mile, with a flask to get hot water as she had a gas cooker. They had everything on the 'new estate'! Posh new houses, gas! 

That year it was so snowy that I remember Philip Barnsley skiing in the avenue! 
During this winter we took our dog, Benji, for walk one day down the lanes and almost lost him it was so deep. The snow drifts were over 4 feet deep in some parts! I remember him bounding around like he'd never seen snow before. Having to make little leaps up to get over rather than through the snow, as it was so deep, and then just sinking into it each time he landed. It didn't deter him, though, leaping and barking and catching the snow in his mouth. It was great fun to play in, you don't to seem to feel the cold as a child! 
When we got home Benji's paws were all matted with snow and I had to sit and break it all off for him, I don't think he minded too much, though. 


Nowadays, I love the romance of snow. The first snowfall. The ground completely covered in a thick, soft blanket of white. Untouched, unmarked. 
Getting up and realising it's snowed and rushing to get dressed and warm. Into your wellies and gloves and hat so you can go out and play in it. Build a snowman? (Some things never change!) And then you're out there. Brrr, 'this is a bit fresh', but not too bad with my hat and gloves and scarf. 
Building a snowman. Starting off with a tiny ball of snow and rolling it around the garden to collect more to make the body. It doesn't take too long, I remember it taking longer, or maybe it's those rose tinted glasses again? 
My hands are freezing, even with my gloves on! 
Now to make the head. Another small ball, rolled around the garden then 'plonked' on top on the body. 
I can't feel my fingers! 
Now, everyone knows a snowman's not a snowman without eyes and nose and mouth, oh, and buttons. Gathering anything I can find to suit the job. Some stones for the eyes and mouth and buttons, that'll do and some dry grass as hair. As a child it was always coal and a carrot but there are no such luxuries now, and we don't have any coal, we've got gas, it's the future, you know!
My hands are aching, they're so cold!
Now to take a quick picture, record the memories forever. Nowadays that's not a problem, everyone has a phone with a camera on it, digital technology kind of took over without me realising.
Back when I was a child we didn't have any such thing. It was a cannon camera and a roll of film with 24 pictures, 35 if you splashed out! It was quite expensive, though, and to get them developed. Hence, the reason that there are no pictures of me playing in the snow as a child, I guess?
Can't feel my hands now, time to go inside. Kick off the snow. Get in and put the kettle on. I look at the clock, oh, I've only been outside 10 minutes, it seemed longer than that, colder than that. 
Snow is so much colder these days!

1 comment: